Setting up Online Price Retrieval

subscribe307 at verizon.net subscribe307 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 27 09:06:29 EDT 2009

I really appreciate your help setting this up.  I had never run into the
problem of changing Path before.  It worked great with no problems
updating stocks.  I tried updating a US corporate bond price but it
didn't work.  I have a CUSIP number but don't know what to put in the
symbol field which may be the problem.
Thanks again for all your help, Svetoslav
Mike

Svetoslav Trochev wrote:
> Ok Mike,
> First take a look of "How To Manage Environment Variables in Windows XP"
> help article from Microsoft at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519
> After you read Microsoft article you should understand how to modify
> your system variable "Path" or your user variable "Path".
> Your current path is sum of system path and user path and it is list of
> directories separated by ";".
> Let say that Perl.exe is located in "C:\perl\bin". You should add
> "C:\perl\bin" to your user path variable in "Environment Variables"
> dialog. If you don't see path you can create it. Click on "New" and type
> "Path" as Variable name and "C:\perl\bin" as Variable value. Then pres
> OK. If you see existing Path just edit it, but do not forget to add ";"
> between the existing path and "C:\perl\bin".
>
> Then restart the GnuCash and test it again.
> Let me know how the Online Price Retrieval works for you.
>
> subscribe307 at verizon.net wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help.  I am using Windows XP OS.  You are right,
>> Perl.exe is not in the Path.  It is in a subdirectory so now how do I
>> add it to Path?  I didn't install Perl in the C: root directory to
>> keep the file system organized with all programs in one directory
>> (Program Files) unless it is absolutely necessary for them to run in
>> the root directory
>> Mike.
>>
>> Svetoslav Trochev wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> Looks like you are using GnuCash on Windows. Depend on the version the
>>> "Path" is modified differently. You can search Google or mail me back
>>> with info about your version and I can try to help you. Before that you
>>> can check your current "Path" by doing the following steps:
>>> 1. Click "Start"
>>> 2. If you are using XP click on "Run..." this will open "Run" dialog