Imported invoices and other problems...

defaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Tue Apr 28 11:59:35 EDT 2009

I've recently moved from Windows and Quicken Home & Business 2009 to LInux
and GnuCash. Right now my biggest concern is handling my invoices. I'm sure
I'll have many other questions in the future. Be gentle, GnuCash is new to
me.

I exported all of my Quicken transactions to a QIF file and imported them
into GnuCash. GnuCash now reports I'm 1/4 of million in the hole! I assure
you this is not the case.

Looking into it I see one account, my Invoices account from Quicken H&B
2009, is at like negative 1/2 a million! Obviously this is wrong.  Looking
at the Invoices account, every transaction imported merely reduces the
balance by the transaction amount. IOW it just goes negative. This Invoices
account is listed as a Bank account type. Should it be a "Bank" account
type? Apparently these were never converted properly into invoices. How
would I convert them?

In trying to create a new Invoice I also wanted to create a new Job. When
doing so GnuCash apparently aborts - the window goes away. Started up
gnucash from a terminal and tried just Business: New Job. It worked. Tried
to create a new job from the Find Job screen. Created a dummy job. Now I'd
like to delete it. How? Found new dummy job. Selected inactive. Segmentation
fault! Ugh! Seems buggy to me!

Trying again. BTW could the find job/customer/invoice dialogs be a bit mroe
friendly? Often you just want to "Find all" but there's no easy way to do
that. I found I could match for a regex of ".*" but that should be the
default or at least easily doable.

Now I can't find any jobs! Tried to create one form the Find Job dialog.
"7fa9676f1000-7fa9676fd000 r-xp 00000000 08:01 270879   Aborted". Wonderful!
Can't create a job from the Business: Customer: New Job dialog either.

Apparently gnucash blows up if the account type is wrong. In trying to
figure out why my Invoices account was at like 1/2 a million negative I
toggled it from a "Bank" account to an "Income" account. That flipped the
negative amount to a positive amount but wiped all the jobs. Creating a job
on an Income account crashes gnucash! Funny, you'd think you make income at
a job. Well whatever...

OK, not terms. In creating an invoice there is a terms drop down. All that's
there is "None". How do I set tha that to something other than "None". I
looked around but could find nothing about Terms.

OK, on to the accounting issues/questions. First off, what's an Income
account? In Quicken H&B my Invoices account was of type Invoice. Invoices
could be created there as well as payments processed, etc. When a payment
was received and I entered a payment the proceeds would be deposited into my
business checking account by means of a transfer.

Here I'm asked for an Income account. My business checking account is not
listed as an Income account. So I think "From what I've heard this GnuCash
seems to make an account per category when compared to Quicken". I used to
categories this income as "Consulting" and lo and behold there is a
Consulting account listed in the drop down. So I select it.

When I go to "Post" this invoice it asks for a Post to Account and all I see
there is "Wallet". Well I don't post to my wallet account but the only other
option is to create a new account and the only account type is
"A/Receivable". So I create a new account and name it Invoices. To my
surprise it works! Now I  have two accounts, both named Invoices, one a bank
account and one an A/Receivable account. Am I supposed to "post" invoices to
"Invoices" a "A/Receivable" account and then enter yet another transaction
to get the money out of the Invoices account and deposited into my Business
checking account?

Oh, OK, just tried a Process Payment and it seems to address these issues. I
can enter the Customer, Invoice, etc. It has a Post To account as well as a
Transfer Account.

Well that's more than enough for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I
go along. Sorry for all the confusion. As expected this will take some time
to get used to. Please be gentle and patient with me. I'll come around -
eventually!