How to enter an existing loan

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:24:32 EDT 2009

That's essentially how I do it.

In this case, the Home Equity account value does not change during the life
of the loan unless I write up or write down the value of the home. As I make
payments to the mortgage, the liability goes down and the *total* equity
goes up because the Interest Expense is wrapped up in Retained Earnings (and
the Asset and Home Equity values haven't changed).

HTH
Robin