Older user

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:35:24 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Murray<m_dorreen at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> After years of problem free use of version 1.8.12, I was forced to
> upgrade to ver 2.2.9 by a hardware failure(smoke, end of month,
> swearing, etc., I'm sure you understand).
> I only have the backups of my accounts left.
> The new version gives an error when I try to read them.
> Is there a way I can access my backups from the new version?
> I have rebuilt using Fedora 10.

Hi ... what do you mean by "backups" of the accounts? Did you lose the
main data file, and try to restore the data from the incremental
backup files?

What error message are you seeing? From a search of the mailing list
archives, I believe the 2.2.9 SHOULD be able to read your old data
file without trouble. You may see a dialog asking what encoding you
used for your 1.8.12 data file, but I believe this is a one-time
message (as the data file will be converted to UTF-8 encoding).

You might also try opening GnuCash from a terminal and see if you are
getting an error message there. Please post the error messages you are
seeing to the list if they aren't self-explanatory.