saving a gnucash data file

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Aug 14 09:40:12 EDT 2009

>In addition don't forget that the fact that the data is now stored in
>a database (if that is how you have set it up) does not mean that that
>there is no need to generate backups.  If the disk with the mysql (or
>whatever) database on it dies, you will loose your gnucash data.  Work
>out where the database is stored on your system and backup that
>routinely.
>
>In the fullness of time a 'backup database' feature might be useful in
>GC that would generate an sql dump of the db.
>
>Colin

Work out where ALL your user data is (from ALL your applications) and
back that up on a regular basis.

I disagree the the concept of adding "backup database" features to all
the applications. Kind of silly. Would you expect your word processor to
be responsible for backing up documents edited by it?

There is perhaps a need for a good GNU "incremental backup" application
(runs on  a periodic basis and makes a new backup of anything that has
changed since the last run). But that is outside the scope of any
individual application.

Michael