Startup time

Eric Anopolsky erpo41 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 08:36:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 12:00 -0400, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> >>Perhaps a bit of design philosophy here: it seems that the target
> >>aaudience for GnuCash is business users, who open it first thing in
> >>the morning and shut it down last thing at night.  For them, I think
> >>that it is tremendous.  For them, the startup time doesn't matter.
> >>They can set it to start automatically on bootup.
> >>

> >The target audience is definitely not just business users.
> >However 15s of startup time is perfectly reasonable.  OOo takes
> >that long to start up.

I was under the impression that there is a broad consensus that OOo
takes too long to start up.

> The objection to "long start-up time" I find a bit strange.

It is weird. When I was in college I had a retail job. One of the things
we found out is that a customer will happily spend 2 hours shopping and
picking out items. However, if the customer has to wait more than 8
minutes in the checkout line, there is a good chance she will abandon
her shopping cart and leave in a huff.

> The point I am making is that even were I entering just one transaction,
> the time to do that making sure all was correct going to dwarf start up
> time.

I agree. This is a good technique for reducing the perception of having
to wait. Maybe the gnucash splash screen could remind the users that now
would be a good time to gather documents for entry?

Cheers,
Eric