saving a gnucash data file

Robert Stocks robert.stocks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 09:45:10 EDT 2009

I would just like to add another use case for this feature.

Sending the file to the accountant

in this case you want a portable file that can be emailed / copied to
USB stick etc. and easily opened by the accountant,  but you don't
want any record of this in your MRU lists and you want to keep using
the original file/database.

R.

2009/8/19 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
> Hi,
>
> Christopher Scully <cjscullyca at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, mysqldump is the mysql command for doing this but if the user about to
>> undertake the action described doesn't know this or doesn't have permissions
>> to run it, what good is it?
>
> If they are not allowed to backup the database then why should GnuCash
> allow them to backup the database?  Besides, I don't think mysqldump
> requires any additional priviledges beyond what GnuCash requires, so if
> you can run GnuCash against a DB you can run mysqldump.
>
>> There are circumstances where on-demand backups within the application are
>> preferable to backups by the db admin.
>
> Perhaps, but IMHO this is not one of them.  You seem to be implying that
> your mother will be using GnuCash with MySQL.  I just don't think that's
> the case..  Your mother would be using SQLite, which is just a "file"
> and easily backed up via "cp".
>
> Anyone using MySQL and/or PG is, by definition, a DBA or working with a
> DBA, and therefore should be using the DBA tools to backup the database.
>
>> Chris

> -derek
>
> --
>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

Robert