Help with install

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 20 14:23:27 EDT 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 12:34 , Charles Day wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Meghan Lefferts
> <meghan.lefferts at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all-
>>
>> I am fairly new to macs, I've had mine about a year but haven't had
>> much of
>> a chance to play with it much. I was trying to install v2.2.0
>> following the
>> Macports wiki instructions (I have an intel mac 10.4). I installed
>> macports,
>> ran "sudo port selfupdate", ran "sudo port install gnucash" and
>> waited for
>> it to finish. Once it did I opened xterm and ran "gnucash" and got
>> this
>> error: "bash: gnucash: command not found".  Any ideas as to what
>> went wrong?
>> Thanks!
>>

> I assume you mean v2.2.9 and not 2.2.0. You probably just need to
> specify
> the full path to the gnucash executable. Something like
> /opt/local/bin/gnucash perhaps? I only use macports to build the
> dependencies, so I'm not completely sure.

Gwenhywfar doesn't work, but that affects aqbanking not gnucash as a
whole.

What version of Macports did you use?  If it was somehow 1.6, then
there's a bug in the installation that didn't set up your paths
correctly.  At any rate, it seems your paths aren't set up.  Here's
the relevant part from http://www.macports.org/install.php
You will need to manually adapt your shell's environment to work with
MacPorts and your chosen installation prefix (the value passed to
configure's --prefix flag, defaulting to /opt/local):

Add ${prefix}/bin and ${prefix}/sbin to the start of your PATH
environment variable so that MacPorts-installed programs take
precedence over system-provided programs of the same name.
If a standard MANPATH environment variable already exists (that is,
one that doesn't contain any empty components), add the ${prefix}/
share/man path to it so that MacPorts-installed man pages are found by
your shell.
For Tiger and earlier only, add an appropriate X11 DISPLAY environment
variable to run X11-dependent programs, as Leopard takes care of this
requirement on its own.
If this doesn't fix things, then I encourage you to subscribe to the
MacPorts mailing list and ask there because there are people there
with far more expertise than I have.

Lenore