Programming Languages YET AGAIN (was Re: How to add reports into Gnucash)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Aug 23 15:17:35 EDT 2009

>What makes Lisp tough is trying to learn it with a mindset derived from
>completely different kinds of languages.  Kind of like trying to learn
>Japanese while insisting on using English grammar on it.

If you are already familiar with a programming language that CAN be used
as a purely "functional" language even though it is normally used as a
"procedural" language you COULD learn the new way of thinking without
having to also be learning a new syntax. But I am not sure whether that
would make it harder or easier. Perhaps the new syntax would help your
brain with the "this is really different" issue.

Fairly early on in my learning C after some discussion about what sort
of a language was it (really) got challenged to rewrite a small C
program from the usual "imperative" form (how C is normally used) into a
purely "functional" program with no imperative statements. Yes possible
to do. But then I already had some familiarity with functional languages
like LISP.

Michael

PS: I am not sure English to Japanese (which I don't know) is an extreme
enough example of "different grammar" (does Japanese have nouns and
verbs and adjectives, etc as separate elements?.). Perhaps more like
English to one of the American Indian languages that does not even have
these as separable elements.