Balance Sheet Totals Not Consistent

Mike C. mtcarr2 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 24 16:57:43 EDT 2009

I have a problem with the balance sheet totals that I can't isolate.
The Total Assets does not equal the Total Liabilities and Equity.  I
have a large number of investment asset, income, and expense accounts so
it is difficult to find where the problem is.  The difference between
the Net Income on the Income Statement and the Retained Earnings on the
Balance Sheet is about $1000 but the difference between Total Assets and
Total Liabilities and Equity is about $20,000 on the Balance Sheet.  I
have tried using both the default accounts and selected all accounts
with the same answer.
It seems that the program should make these lines equal on the balance
sheet independent of whether the inputs are correct or not so I don't
understand how the problem happens.
I am using version 2.2.9 on Windows XP.
Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike