The Experience Of Reports

Daniel Trezub daniel3ub at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:43:29 EDT 2009

David,

Unfortunetly what you just described is much more common in the free
software world than you might think. I've been using free software for more
than 10 years, and althoug things are much better today than 10 years ago,
the simple truth is that free software is made by programmers for
programmers.

What I've learned is: the bigger the project, the harder to get the
programmers accept user requests (or even take the time to ponderate about
user requests).

GnuCash is a GREAT program, and since the last time I've tried it (some
years ago) it took huge leaps in direction of performance and reliability.
It's so true that I felt that now would be a good time to migrate for good,
even if I feel the reports could be much improved (and I mean MUCH).

But i'd really like to see the programmers taking time to discuss End User's
ideas, and not just answering "if you code it, it will be done". A simple
"this feature could be nice. File it in Bugzilla and we will look at it
someday" sounds much better. I know there are priorities, and I know there
is a lot to fix and improve (and I know many of you work for free), but
sometimes we, common End Users, can help. User feedback is important (and
not only to test and submit bugs), and I think the programmers could give
this feedback a little more attention.

Take this as a constructive critic, guys, and do not think you are alone. We
are here to help, but sorry, we cannot code :(
Sometimes I think I could give much more if I was a programmer, but live is
that I am a designer :P

Now, I am going file some requests in Bugzilla. I hope you guys take a look
at them :)

=====
Daniel
http://dantrez.deviantart.com