How to handle Short Sell

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Thu Aug 27 10:07:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:29:17 +0800
Barry Yen <yenbarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> What is the proper way of entering a stock short sell transaction in
> gnucash?

I don't know if this is the "proper" way but to sell short 100 shares
of ABC at $10.0/share I have in my brokerage account:

                              Deposit Withdraw
Assets:Brokerage Account       990.0
Expenses:Commission             10.0
Assets:Brokerage Account:ABC           1000.0

And then in the ABC account

                              Shares          Buy    Sell
Assets:Brokerage Account                     990.0
Expenses:Commission                           10.0
Assets:Brokerage Account:ABC   -100    10.0         1000.0

So its really just the same as selling shares except that you have a
negative balance for the number of shares.

HTH
Steve.