Help with "virtual" account

James E. Pace james at pacehouse.com
Fri Aug 28 16:44:07 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have recently started using GnuCash for real (after years of messing
around with it), because I just became the treasurer for my kid's school's
parent club.

I am very impressed with the documentation available for GnuCash, such as
the handbook and mailing list archives.  My brain is wrapping around the
real accounting concepts required here, and I like it.  I recently learned
about "Accounts Payable" and how to create bills and such, which works very
nicely. (Now all we need is the cash to pay these bills. :) )

A question that I haven't been able to Google sufficiently.  In our checking
account, we keep cash for a couple other groups.  In my mind, I'd like to
have a separate bucket for them, but still have the account reconcile with
the monthly statement.

Do you have any recommendations on how to handle this?  What type of
accounts should these virtual buckets be?

Thank you for any help or pointers.

James
--
James E. Pace