Gnucash on Snow Leopard

Steve Drach drach at itsit.org
Sat Aug 29 10:47:47 EDT 2009

Installed Snow Leopard and fired up Gnucash.  Seemed to work until I
tried to get quotes, and found the button disabled.  So I checked
Finance::Quote by running "gnc-fq-dump" and discovered a couple
packages were missing.  Read the instructions at Fink and tried to
upgrade my existing installation to run with 10.6.  Nothing changed,
still the missing packages.  So, now I'm in the process of rebuilding
Gnucash and all it's dependencies from source.  What a drag.

As a lark, I tried the native OS/X version from ../sourceforge/gnucash/
Gnucash-2.2.9.dmg.  Fired up fine, but the quotes button is still
disabled.  Sigh.  Also I notice the same problem I had with Leopard,
and that is when I enter data using the keyboard, the characters
aren't displayed until after I've moved the cursor out of the field,
not during the typing -- makes things weird.

So, two questions:

(1) how do I install just Finance::Quote so I can hopefully reenable
the get quotes functions, and

(2) how do I get it to display characters as I type them?

I really don't want to reinstall and rebuild from source if I can help
it.  I just want Gnucash back, either native or X11.  Any and all
suggestions gratefully accepted.