Roommate expenses?

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 11:29:48 EDT 2009

I had thought about this quite a lot last night, trying to come up with what seemed a good solution (beyond the piece of paper tacked to the wall that we had in my apartment when I had a roommate)

So, I think my solution would be, assuming you have expense accounts for whatever the "shared" bills are, I'd create some sort of account for your roommate where you record when your roommate pays one of those shared expenses (not sure if it matters if it's a liability or asset account (at least from my perspective, accountants may disagree).

Create a sub-account on each of your accounts that you're going to pay bills from (hopefully just one account, because that makes it much easier).

Then when you reconcile you have to check that "include sub-accounts" checkbox (this is the only change you have to make for doing things) then, to determine "standing" simply compare the balance of your sub-account vs your roommates account (probably ignore the sign, especially if yours is an asset account, but your roommates is a liability) and whoever has a higher balance has paid more, so is owed money, you can simply add the two totals together, divide by two to figure out what each account SHOULD be if you had both paid the same as each other (and this works across however long you keep the accounts open).

At least that's my take.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com
Discover a lost art - play Marbles. May 2004
www.marillion.com