GnuCash data migration Windows <> Linux

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Mon Aug 31 10:19:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:12:15 pm Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 6:52 AM, rshuey at rgv<rshuey at rgv.rr.com> wrote:
> > Am learning GnuCash.  Can GnuCash data be migrated easily between Windows
> > and Linux?
> >
> > Current accounting is a simple General Ledger program run on Windows,
> > with data kept on a Linux Samba server.  Looking for a replacement; the
> > Win GL program is no longer supported.
> >
> > To explore GnuCash I have loaded
> > ..GnuCash 2.3.5 on a WinXPpro machine
> > ..GnuCash 2.2.9 on a Fedora 11 machine
>
> I don't run Windows, but unless you are merely testing the unstable
> 2.3.5 version I would not recommend using it, especially for
> transferring data back and forth. If you intend to use the software
> with actual data you will want to use the stable 2.2.9 version on
> Windows, too.
>
> (Once the 2.3.x versions become the stable 2.4.x versions then you
> will want to upgrade both at the same time.)
>
> > I track several similar companies, so one task is to replicate the same
> > starting chart of accounts.  I have learned to do this by copy and rename
> > of two files
> > ..in Windows
> > ....\ProgramFiles\gnucash\bin\MyGCdata
> > ....\Documents and Settings\....\.gnucash\books\MyGCdata
> > ..in Linux
> > ....$HOME/MyGCdata
> > ....$HOME/.gnucash/books/MyGCdata
> >
> > Contrary to what I have found by search of this forum and by the GC
> > tutorial and help, copy of the first file alone seems insufficient; the
> > hidden 'books' file is also needed.
> >
> > My question relates to migrating data between Windows and Linux.  To use
> > GnuCash operationally I could either
> > ..run a GnuCash on several Windows machines, with data centrally served
> > by Linux Samba
> > ..run GnuCash centrally on Linux, accessing by VNC-viewer from the
> > Windows machines.
> >
> > While I learn GnuCash, develop the chart of accounts, and settle on the
> > best operational scheme, I want to migrate the same data back and forth
> > between Windows and Linux.
> >
> > I have not been able to either
> > .."Save As" from Windows GnuCash to the Linux Samba server and open with
> > Linux GnuCash
> > ..copy the Windows ....\bin\MyGCdata and ....\books\MyGCdata to the Linux
> > $HOME locations and then open with Linux GnuCash
> >
> > (I need a better understanding of where GnuCash keeps its data for two
> > other operational reasons
> > ..to be sure i get all the when I backup; presently by nightly mirror to
> > an offsite sister Linux server
> > ..to occassionally put all the data on the laptop (dual boot
> > WinXPpro/Fedora7) for when I travel; I keep a tight firewall on the Linux
> > server here)
> >
> > Finally, this is my first thrash at posting in this type forum (vice the
> > VBulletin type).  Pls excuse any etiquite errors.

Subject to what Tommy said about the version number, yes, you should be able
to use the same data file on both machines.  I did it briefly.

The main GnuCash data file is one compressed .xml file.  That is all that you
will need to share.  Each program will generate backup files with an .xac
extension and log files in the same directory as the main data file.  Your
configuration files under Linux are in a .gnucash directory, but there is no
problem in having a separate config for Windows - it may be essential.

The only thing that you may need to watch is the end-of-line character.
Windows uses CR+LF, while Linux uses LF only.  That has never been an issue
for me with the data file.  It may be a problem when you want to import into
one program a QIF file downloaded on the other OS, for example.

HTH,

Doug.