help installing finance quote mac snow leopard

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Dec 7 10:33:37 EST 2009

On Dec 6, 2009, at 9:22 PM, Martin Cunningham wrote:

> I started with the download for Mac OS X (Intel) and Finance::Quote
> didn't install correctly so I googled the error message and that led
> me to the Macports approach.
>
> Martin Cunningham
> T: (415) 448-6854
>

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM, John Ralls
> <jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 6, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Martin Cunningham wrote:
>>
>>> Hello - is a detailed guide available for troubleshooting installation
>>> of finance::quote? i have tried my best to follow some fairly
>>> technical discussions that involved installing macports, logging in as
>>> root and other things and just feel a bit out of my depth on this
>>> stuff. i just did log in as root and tried running 'gnc-fq-update' in
>>> terminal and got a 'command not recognized' error. does this mean i
>>> have to install macports again?
>>
>> Are you using MacPorts-supplied GnuCash or the GnuCash binary from the GnuCash website?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Unfortunately, a MacPorts-installed Finance::Quote won't work with the Gnucash binaries, because Macports installs into a private directory not in the normal Perl include path.

In Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin, you'll find two programs, gncfqcheck and gncfqupdate. The first will tell you what's wrong with your F::Q installation, the second (run with sudo) will install F::Q for you.

If you get errors from either, please report them in detail to the list.

Regards,
John ralls