help installing finance quote mac snow leopard

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Dec 7 20:03:02 EST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 12:01 PM, jomali wrote:

> John, I'd like to piggyback on this discussion.
>
> First, thanks for the Mac OSX native port. It works very well for me.
>
> However, when I run gnc-fq-check, compilation fails at line 25 of gnc-fq-check, which is use lib '/System/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level';
> However, I have upgraded to 5.10 (as, perhaps, many perl users have). Why do you insist on using an old version of perl?

I insist on supporting stock Apple OSX, and doing so for normal users of Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard. I built Gnucash-Intel-2.2.9 before Snow Leopard had been released, and Leopard had perl 5.8.8 as its primary version. I didn't have any problem running gnc-fq-update when I upgraded to Snow Leopard in October, so it didn't occur to me that this versioning problem might occur. I'm going to have to work out something to make sure that the perl stuff remains portable across all three supported versions.

That said, if you don't have the Apple perl libraries still in place and included in your @INC, then you're on your own, and I recommend building Gnucash for your installation. You can find instructions and hints at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz.

Regards,
John Ralls