Family usage of gnucash

Валерий Булаш valery.bulash at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:01:31 EST 2009

gnucash is not convenient for family usage.
Family from my point of view is a little community where ...:

   1. ... some people got separate salaries and other incomes.
   2. ... all / most people can have common wallet - i.e. cash for food.
   3. ... some people can have own wallets - kid for ice cream, wife for
   make-up, husband for weapons and so on. I guess such wallets are transparent
   for others, but it is not evident and not obvious.
   4. ... every person can perform exact / similar financial operation.

I see that implementation of multi-user access to gnucash data is not a
family issue in general.
How it is implemented in gnucash 2.2.9 (correct me where I'm wrong):

No number... Term "person" (not just "user of program"!) doesn't exist at
all. I see it is root cause of all problems.

   1. Implemented with tricks. I can write in account name "Mary's income"
   or "Joe's salary", but it is not applicable for sorting / filtering /
   reporting.
   2. Fully implemented where ALL persons want to share money. Not
   implemented where SOME persons want to share money.
   3. Not implemented at all. Full multi-user access with exact rights to
   accounts and some rules of account visibility for others could help here.
   Simpler way - every operation entered on personal account will record
   account's owner name / code.
   4. Not implemented at all. Transation must include person's name / code
   or "all" as mark of transation owner / performer.

Regards,
Valery Bulash