Custom Transaction Report with Balance

Jason Dunham jwdunham at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 15:36:29 EST 2009

Recently Derek reiterated that we should ask on the list for advice before
plunging into custom reports.  I am using GC 2.2.9 (though I could try a
beta) and I am trying to create a transaction report for an account, but
with starting and ending balances. If it matters, which it shouldn't, it
will be for the Accounts Receivable account, filtered by customer.  It
should show the starting balance, a list of all transactions, and the ending
balance.  Basically I need a "statement", exactly what everyone gets from
banks and credit card companies every month.  The customer report doesn't
show each transaction, and I don't really need to generate invoices so much
as report on transactions.  Currently I am generating invoices, but I'd
rather keep all the invoice line items as transactions visible on the
statement.

It seems like I should start with the regular Transaction Report and try to
add balances at the beginning and end, and get rid of the totals.  It would
also be helpful to be able to filter by customers, though I can work around
that by using separate AR subaccounts for each customer.  Should I use
eguile?

Cosmetics aren't very important to me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,