How to account interest rate

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 19:41:34 EST 2009

I think even if there were a BalanceAsOfDate() function, one would be easily
frustrated using it to calculate the interest earned on a bank account. Most
banks (in the U.S., anyway) accrue interest daily and compound monthly. So,
in order to calculate the interest correctly, you need to know the balance
of the account for each day of the period. The dates for your transactions
in GnuCash would have to exactly match the transaction dates that the bank
used to post the same transaction. For a transactional account (like
checking or N.O.W. account), this would quickly become impractical.

My $0.02.

Robin