python bindings

Peter vmail at mycircuit.org
Fri Dec 11 15:35:41 EST 2009

> What are the python bindings are intended to do -- add extensions of one
> sort or another to gnucash?
This would certainly be possible, for example to add alternative
automatical quote update plugins when perl quotes is not the best solution
( for example, perl quotes does only work on a selection of sites like
yahoo which has somehow incomplete data for people living in Europe )
> Or enable independentlypwritten main
> programs to access some kind of gnucash libraries, thereby enabling
> user-written python programs to access the gnucash data bases/files?

This is what I have in mind. For example, I could write a program that
would interface a system for securities management to gnucash in order
to automatically add transactions for bond income payments
( I could do this with scheduled transactions but this requires me to
enter information that I have already entered in a more specialized
system ).

For the moment , I have written a basic command line interface that lets
me quickly list data from gnucash ( all accounts, all transactions,
sorted by <$your_criterion> ) thus benefiting from linux command line
magic. ( much quicker than gui, more filter possibilites, nice for
automatic tests, since it is easier to test command line interfaces than
data in a GUI, etc )
It would probably be possible to hook up a webframework ( pylons,
turbogears ) and several people would have webbased access ( don't know
if this is interesting ... )

Peter