Sales Tax with GnuCash

J. Anthony Hertzler plant.sequoias at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:36:17 EST 2009

Hi, I'm unable to find anything in the gnucash documentation about
setting up sales tax tables for a business. I run a small portable
building business, so we're both manufacturers and retailers. We charge
the customer sales tax, so it needs to be listed as a liability until
it's paid to the state at the end of each month.

Since each taxable sale typically includes a percentage of state tax,
county tax, and possibly city tax, it would be great be able to set up
all the common state/county/city combinations and be able to choose one
to automatically funnel the taxes to the proper liability accounts at
the time I enter the amount of a sale into the checking account. Then at
the end of the month I need to be able to list the sales tax totals for
the state and for each county and city to which sales tax is owed.

Is this something gnucash can do at present? Please shed some light on
this for me, or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Anthony Hertzler
Integrity Buildings