Somebody's credit and a liability to a buyer

Gastan bmg at centrum.sk
Sun Dec 13 15:57:17 EST 2009

Hello, all.

I'm pretty new in accounting (just for home purposes) and I don't know the
right terminology - and not in English for sure. Maybe that's why I have not
found here what I'm looking for. If it's already answered somewhere, please,
don't be angry, I really tried it before asking.

Case one:
I'm travelling to my office by car and I take some people with me. They pay
some fixed agreed amount for one trip. Sometimes they give exactly what they
should immediately on the day of the trip, sometimes they pay after few
trips whole debt or just part of it and some of them do some pre-pay - they
pay e.g. for the whole week - but they for example cannot go with me on some
days and they "consume" the pre-paid amount sometimes in the future that
nobody knows when.

Of course we lend/borrow money each to other for some other things, not just
for trips. If somebody forgets the wallet and needs money for that day, etc.

What I need is some easy and simple way how to get a bill for each passenger
with the one final balance: if I owe some money/trips to him or s/he owes
money to me for the unpaid trips or some other lendings.

Case two:
Somebody buys something I asked him for and pays it. I got the good and a
liability to the buyer. How this shall be correctly entered?

Thanks in advance for your help.