Did I set this up correctly - house with negative equity

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 16:57:10 EST 2009

As a followup, what transactions would someone do if they made repairs/improvements to a house?

I'm sure I've been doing mine all wrong, what I had done is made the house a "stock" (effectively) and then just keep updating the price of the stock, but this ran into issues when I made changes to the house because I couldn't add another .x of the stock for replacing the roof.

If I had been tracking it as cost I'm not 100% sure what I'd do, I know I'd debit my bank account for the improvements since I paid for them, and I put that in expenses:home improvements, but I would figure I want them to end up in the assets:fixed:house:cost?

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com