A couple of doubts

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Dec 15 11:26:03 EST 2009

Conscious User wrote:

>Hello all Gnucash users and developers,
>
>I'm starting to use Gnucash now, and I'm sorry if the doubts I'm
>raising here are trivial, but due to an unfamiliarity with financial
>terms, specially in another language, I couldn't find the answers
>in the documentation.
>
>1) How can I program Gnucash to make a COMPLETE payment of my credit
>card bill monthly? So far, I could only find options where I had to
>specify the exact amount to the paid.

1) There is no way for GnuCash (or any other accounting package) to know
in advance how much you actually pay on any bill. That's why you have to
enter the amount that you DO pay. Not "intentions" but actuality.

>2) How can I program Gnucash to increase my savings account by a
>interest rate of 0,5%/month?

2) There are a zillion (OK, just dozens) of different ways that interest
might be figured. In theory would be possible to code for a number of
these different ways and provide a menu for users to select the
particular method to apply to this account. In practice that wouldn't be
very useful, prone to user error (wrong selection) and your records
(when you made deposits or withdrawals) and the banks are unlikely to
always agree precisely. More normal you wait till you have a statement
form the bank and enter that month's interest.

   If you don't understand what I meant by "different ways", could you
be a bit more precise what you meant by that 0.5% interest? Was that
6%/365 times the average daily balance? Or was that 0.5%/30 times the
average daily balance? Or does it matter how many actual days there were
in the month? (with the first example it did).

Michael D Novack, FLMI

>Thanks in advance.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.