Sales Tax with GnuCash

J. Anthony Hertzler plant.sequoias at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 17:29:36 EST 2009

Hey, I really appreciate all the time you took to help me out on this. It
turns out I can even give back a little, since in trying to implement a
second-best solution, I stumbled upon the very function I was looking for.
It's not intuitive to find but it's simple and works perfectly. Here's how
to do it:

In Business>Tax Table Editor, as you pointed out, you can create a tax table
using the New button under Tax Tables and later edit the entry by clicking
the Edit button under Tax Table Entries. To create a tax table to direct
taxes to several liability accounts, simply create a new tax table, name it,
(Oklahoma-Delaware Co in my case) and enter the percentage and the
appropriate account for one of the entities to whom tax is owed (I entered
4.5% and the account Liabilities:Sales Tax:Oklahoma). After you click OK,
the name of the liability account you entered appears under Tax Table
Entries. With the same tax table still selected (Oklahoma-Delaware Co), you
can then click the New button under Tax Table Entries, which will open a box
that allows you to enter another percentage and another account (I entered
0.9% for Liabilities:Sales Tax:Delaware County). After that, choosing the
Oklahoma-Delaware Co tax table when creating an invoice neatly adds the 5.4%
tax to the invoice total and divides it between the relevant liability
accounts. I'm all smiles.

Again, thanks for your time. This definitely is a gap in the documentation
that will need filled, but the functionality seems perfect.