Move many expense accounts to Expense parent

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Wed Dec 16 03:46:26 EST 2009

On 15 December 2009 at 21:48, Yawar Amin said:

> On 12/15/09 5:44 PM, Mike Roberts wrote:
> > I just moved my data from Microsoft Money.  The imported .qif files left me
> > with lots of top level accounts that should be under an Expenses parent.  Is
> > there any way to move these as a group, or do I have to edit each account
> > and change its Parent Account?
[...]
> GnuCash saves all your data in a single XML file and compresses it using
> the Gzip compression scheme. You have complete control over the file
> name, so it might be for example `My Accounts'. Whatever it is, you'll
> need to uncompress it, and the easiest way to do that is copy the file
> over to some folder you've created for the purpose, rename it to give it
> a .gz extension, like MyAccounts.gz, and uncompress it. On Windows, any
> of the zip programs can handle it, and on Linux/Mac, double-clicking
> will do it.

However, it might be even easier to go to Edit->Preferences, General tab,
and unset "Compress files" before saving to do the manipulations. Not
forgetting to set it again after re-opening, of course. That way, there's
no need to rename the file, and no need for an uncompressor.

(It's not quite true to say that "any" Windows .ZIP program can handle
.gz - the built-in one on Win-XP can't, to begin with).