direction on adding customers and receivables

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 23 09:01:46 EST 2009

Hi,

Michael Tenenbaum <mtenenbaum at strategic-techs.com> writes:

> I would like to use GNC as the accounting backbone for our office
> automation system.  We're using Postgresql as the database.
>
> For this reason I need to know how to:
>
> (1) Add a customer from our application (bypassing GNC)
>
> (2) Add a receivable from our application to the general ledger (bypassing GNC)

GnuCash does not support users writing to the database behind GnuCash's
back.  In other words, neither of these operations are supported.  If
you want to write into the GnuCash database you MUST use the GnuCash API
(in C, Scheme, or Python).  Writing to the database directly can cause
data loss, so we do not support it (just like we don't support writing
to the XML data file directly).