Gnucash binary 2.2.9.3 for PPC crashes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Dec 27 13:39:38 EST 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Santiago Fernandez wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:31 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> So the first time after you clean up, Gnucash runs, is that right? And after that it acts like it isn't running the launcher script?
>
> That's correct.
>
>> Maybe you could try doing the cleanup steps one at a time and see which one lets Gnucash run.
>> Also, are you getting a new dbus-daemon each time you try to launch Gnucash?
>
> No, I am not getting a new dbus-daemon when Gnucash fails to run.
>
> I have tried doing the cleanup steps one at a time. What works for me is to replace Gnucash.app with the one in the dmg file. I can keep the dot files (.gconf* .gnucash) and the symlink in /opt. More specifically, I did the following in order to get Gnucash.app running from the Finder:
>
> 1 - Download Gnucash-PPC-2.2.9.4.dmg and open it
> 2 - Copy Gnucash.app to Applications folder
> 3 - Launch Gnucash.app from Finder, follow the instructions, quit when done
> 4 - Open Activity Monitor and quit the dbus-daemon process
> 5 - Replace Gnucash.app with the copy in Gnucash-PPC-2.2.9.4.dmg
> 6 - Now Gnucash.app runs from the Finder
>
> Before and after step 4 Gnucash.app does not run from the Finder, I do step 4 in order to complete step 5 only.
>

>> You wouldn't happen to have any other Gtk+ installations on your machine, perhaps from MacPorts or Fink, would you?
>>

> No, I don't think so. I don't have MacPorts or Fink installed currently.

Interesting. To be sure I have this right, if you launch Gnucash from the finder twice without doing cleanup, you have two instances of dbus-daemon running? And if you kill the dbus-daemon(s) but try to launch Gnucash.app again it fails with the -ps_foo message (but does start a new dbus-daemon)?

Regards,
John Ralls