Year end procedure...

James Wilde james.wilde at sunde-wilde.com
Wed Dec 30 13:05:24 EST 2009

On Dec 29, 2009, at 21:10 , FireFly wrote:

> use the Close Books option from the Tools menu?

I'm also interested in this, but before I start experimenting, I'm wondering about a few aspects of closing down.

Does this transfer the balance on asset, liability and equity accounts as a single sum for each account, or are the transactions for the accounts transferred?

Does the balance on the income statement/profit and loss account get transferred as a single sum under equity, with expense and income accounts reduced to zero?

Does the procedure create a new file, and if so, can one choose the name of the new file?

Can one have the old file(s) and the new file(s) in the same directory, or is it adviseable to keep them in separate directories?  What happens when one presses 'Save' if they are in the same directory?

If one updates the old year file after running the Close Books option do changes to asset, liability and equity accounts get transferred to the new year?  I.e. can one create the new year's books before the final transactions of the old year are completed?  Can one enter new year transactions in the new year books before the final transactions of the old year are completed?

If changes to the old year are not propagated to the new year, can one change the opening balances in the new year without creating transactions in the new year which would affect account movements in the new year?

TIA

//James