Sales Tax with GnuCash

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Thu Dec 31 19:38:45 EST 2009

在 2009-12-12六的 19:14 -0800,Pablo Francesca写道:

> This next step is crucial. Select an account from the Account list box.  This is the account where the sales taxes will  be posted. This is usually Liabilities: Sales Tax. After you click OK, it will show up in the Tax Table Entries side of the window for editing later if you need to do this.

Your explanation enlightened me too, someone lurking in the list.

I wonder what do you select as type for Sales Tax. Is it Liability, or
is it Account Payable? It surprised me that on my set up Sales Tax is of
Expense type, which is wrong because it is supposed to be credited
instead of debited. I am even more surprised to see this setup is the
default setup if user run the setup droid and select starting from
Common Accounts, which is I guess what most people does before they get
acquainted with GnuCash.

It should be written somewhere clearly in the instruction of using Tax
Table that user should make change to the default setup before using tax
table feature. However I did not do that.