gnc-register protocol?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 22:44:37 EST 2009

Derek Atkins said the following at 02/08/2009 07:19 PM :
> Hi,
>
> Quoting "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
>
>> Yawar Amin said the following at 02/08/2009 05:07 PM :
>>> Can you navigate to where it's stored on your computer with Firefox? That
>>> is, in Firefox, Ctrl-O, and in the Open File dialog box, find the HTML file
>>> and open it.
>> Yes. I have to be able to do that in order to get the error.
>>
>> The hrefs look like this (this is copy-and-paste a sample):
>> "gnc-register:acct-guid=03395203302b0cd1bbb2a5a8327d4db2#"
>>
>> So that's telling the browser to use the gnc-register protocol to access
>> the address acct-guid=03395203302b0cd1bbb2a5a8327d4db2#. But, like the
>> error says (and hence my question), the browser doesn't know what the
>> gnc-register protocol is.
>
> Right.  It's an internal-to-gnucash hook that lets gnucash act
> on report data.  This particular "function" will open an account
> register for the account with guid 03395203302b0cd1bbb2a5a8327d4db2
>
> I have no idea why you would expect this to work outside gnucash.

I would expect it to work because... er... um... it's an HTML file, and hence:

1) would be expected to be viewed with a browser, and
2) would would contain clickable hypertext of some sort.

When I view an HTML file with a browser, and it presents me with links, I
expect to be able to click on those links and have something happen.

That seems like what anyone would expect.

When I open this file, I am indeed presented with clickable links. But when
I click on them, I get the error I mentioned. If that's what's supposed to
happen, it seems to go against the everyday experience of what happens when
one clicks on links in HTML files.

If that's not what I'm supposed to expect, what am I actually supposed to
do with this HTML file?

  Doc

> PS: Hey Doc!  LTNS! :)

Indeed :-) I don't suppose you ever come out this way, do you?

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR