gnc-register protocol?

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:08:34 EST 2009

Sorry about the off-list messaging! I'm using Gmail and I keep forgetting to
change the To: address whenever I reply to something.

Now I understand what you're trying to do. First of all, you export a
transaction report to HTML and open it in a browser. Then you click on one
of the hyperlinked account names in the report and expect Gnucash to open
that account window. This is what happens if you click on an account name
while you're viewing the report in Gnucash.

*But,* it won't happen when you're viewing the report in an ordinary web
browser. Gnucash knows how to handle those hyperlinks with the gnc-register:
protocol--it has been programmed that way. Firefox/Konqy have not! They just
error out.

I know it's a bit counter-intuitive. This happens because when Gnucash
itself shows you a report, it's just showing you a rendered HTML file that
it just created on-the-fly. Gnucash in fact has a built-in mini-browser
that's capable of rendering HTML. Gnucash uses this format for several
reasons I guess; let's say the best one is familiarity. Anyway, when you
export the report to HTML, all Gnucash is doing is just writing out the file
to the name and folder you specify. It doesn't even strip out the special
gnc-register protocol hyperlinks that only Gnucash itself knows how to
handle.

So effectively Gnucash is using a specially modified version of HTML that
mostly works fine with other browsers, but from time to time hiccups like
these arise.

HTH