cash: avoid "double count"

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Tue Feb 10 11:40:57 EST 2009

Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> For example, consider a "line of credit" account. I haven't checked the
> newest versions (I tend not to upgrade software as long as "works" but
> that's the habit of one whose career was in a shop that carefully stayed
> away from "the bleeding edge"). But I am going to assume that GnuCash
> does not have a built in for that type of account. However -- that's
> very much like a "credit card" account in how a "line of credit" works
> in practice so that would be the "type" I would use for one (even though
> in other ways the account might resemble a checking account*).

As of 2.2.26, there's no special type.  I (we) have three, set up as
Liabilities, rather than Credit Card, but their purpose is for
investment (down payments on revenue properties), so they're more like a
mortgage than anything else: they won't go to zero until we sell
everything.  You could use either, depending on the purpose to which you
put it.  I really don't see the need for a distinct type.

Cheers

Cam