Account specification of multiple transactions during/after import

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 17 16:32:03 EST 2009

Hi,

Please remember to CC Gnucash-user on all replies using your mailer's
Reply-To-All or Reply-List functionality.

Quoting Jodi Phelps <jpjphelps at gmail.com>:

> Okay, with a word document, I "save as", rename it and it saves right
> there in the same directory.

Or you can drag and drop..
Or you can open the folder, right click, and Send To.

Using Save As to actually SAVE to your other disk is probably NOT
the best idea, because then gnucash will try to open up that alternate
location next time.

I only suggested it as a way to find the directory where you saved
your data file.

> In Gnucash, when I "save as", I tell it to save in drive "D", it says
> "The folder content could not be displayed..error getting info for
> "D": device is not ready".

I have no idea what this is about.

> So I gave up on the disc and tried saving
> it again to the desktop and emailing it to my gmail acct on the other
> computer.  That was successful but when all is said and done, I have
> lost 30 days somehow!  The last posted date is 1/16/09, so I guess
> that was all that messing around with exporting.  I tried pulling up
> files from the trash, but now can't open it because it is "not a
> valid Win32 application", even when I tell it to open with Gnucash.
> It is not showing gnucash in the location, just the desktop...any
> hope of retrieving that
> last month?

Most likely you opened up a Backup File.  let's say your datafile
was originally called "data".  Then GnuCash will create files of
the form "data.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.xac" as backup data files.  E.g., it
will create a file named "data.20090116124523.xac".   If you accidentally
did a File->Open on one of these files that would explain why you
appear to have lost data...   OR if you double-clicked on one.

> Jodi

-derek