Hello - new to list with a question about reconciliation

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 18 17:00:43 EST 2009

Quoting David Ryder <davaweb at bigpond.net.au>:

> Hello,
> I've just joined the list and am new to gnu-cash - I never could
> understand the myob etc but this I do!
>
> I have a problem - I reconciled a Liabilities account by mistake instead
> of the Asset account it posted to. I need to undo the additional entries
> to the Liabilities account which I put it in to make it reconcile and,
> of course, these changes are in the Asset account.

Wow!  How on earth did you asset balance on your account statement
match the balance of the liability on the same day?   Or even better
question:  how did your asset account transactions from your statement
map to your liability transactions?

Or did you just accept GnuCash's "ending balance" without actually
comparing that to your account statement?

> Is it possible, if so how, to undo this account reconciliation?

Not per se, however you could go in and manually convert the 'y'
values in the reconciled column to 'n' to "unreconcile" them.

> If not, what happens if I delete reconciled entries?

GnuCash should complain...  But it would let you do it.