Default account counterpart

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Feb 18 17:39:45 EST 2009

>>Is there any chance of adding an option to block this?  I would really
>>like GnuCash to force me to balance the transaction before "finishing"
>>it; I do not *ever* want it to create an account without asking for
>>confirmation.
>>

>GREAT idea!  I'll commit the code as soon as you send it to me!
>

>-derek

Less tongue in cheek --- no, I wouldn't like that one bit.

1) I might indeed have to be creating a (new) account and hadn't
realized this until I had begun entering a large/complex split
transaction. Here having the default imbalance is much better than
temporarily sticking in a wrong (but otherwise valid) account name. You
are going to have to come back later to fix the transaction in either
case;, the "imbalance" account is more obvious.

2) But editing the "name of the account" is exactly what you do. Not the
name of the account but the name (which) account you want debited or
credited. GnuCash lets you get back into that transaction and change the
"imbalance" to whatever the correct account is.

Perhaps that was not obvious? People have been deleting and then
re-entering a transaction if they later realized that they had debited
or credited the wrong account instead of just changing the account? Of
course in this case you have to be working on the transaction as it
appears in one of the other accounts debited or credited. But this being
double entry bookkeeping, there will always be such an "other" available.

Michael