Balance Sheet using cost of stock transaction instead of current value - even though price has been input

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 00:14:15 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:49 AM, scheme-seriously <
georgestjournal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just started using gnucash, version 2.2.8.  I've added my stock and
> mutual
> fund accounts and it would seem I've done so correctly since the price
> editor correctly gets the latest values for all of the holdings from the
> internet, and in the list of accounts, the Asset accounts show the current
> value based on that latest price from the price editor.
>
> However, when I create a balance sheet, the Asset accounts containing the
> stocks are computing value based on initial cost still.  I have checked
> "compute unrealized gains" in the report options.  Since the asset values
> are sourced from cost, unrealized gains comes back as zero.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to get the balance sheet report to use
> latest price from the price editor to compute value of stock and fund
> accounts?

Go into the report options and change the price source. It's perhaps silly
that the "unrealized gains" checkbox is active while using a price source
that, by definition, is supposed to have zero unrealized gains. However
that's the way it is at the moment.

-Charles