Unable to add costs of stock purchases

David Ryder davaweb at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 23 20:27:39 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 16:44 -0800, Charles Day wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM, David Ryder <davaweb at bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>         Hi,
>         A. I have read the pdf file and a lot of things on google but
>         I just
>         can't get this to work - this is purely an example:
>         (Australian stock Exchange)
>         1. Create a Stock account for RIO - OK
>         2. BUY RIO 1000 @ $50.00 using Equity account - automatically
>         calculates
>         $50,000 - OK
>         3. Brokerage - 375.00   posted to Expsenses:Brokerage - causes
>         Imbalance
>         4. GST - 37.50  posted to Expenses:GST - causes larger
>         Imbalance.
>
>         These are just trying to enter stock before I start using
>         gnucash for
>         daily transactions but every buy and sell needs to have
>         brokerage and
>         GST.
>

> You have listed the three outlays: cost of stock, brokerage expense,
> and GST, but where's the balancing split of $50412.50 to the equity
> account?
>

> -Charles
If I understand correctly, I have entered those in Transaction journal
view.
I can not enter the overall total of $50412.50 which is what I
originally tried to do - gnucash keeps automatically calculating just
$50,000 with a box saying 'Recalculate Price/Recalculate shares'.
Nor does it sum the amounts I entered - it just posts brokerage and GST
to Imbalance.

I apologise if I have misunderstood what you are asking.
David