Text field alignments

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 09:54:45 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com>wrote:
>>
>>> When viewing a register in "Basic Ledger" view, the "other-account" names
>>> in the "Transfer" column are right-justified. So if the complete account
>>> name is too long to fit, the high-end ("Assets", for example) is cut.
>>>
>>> However, in a "Split" view, the corresponding text in each split is left-
>>> justified - except when that part of that split is selected. This means
>>> that, for example, I see
>>>  "Assets:Current Assets:Savings Accounts:"
>>> and have to select the entry to see *which* savings account it is.
>>>
>>> Is there any particular reason for this behaviour?
>>>

>> I don't know, but if no one responds with a particular reason for leaving it
>> alone, I will go ahead and change it to be right-justified.
>
> I have no idea why it is the way it is; I think changing it is fine.

I'd suggest changing both to left-justified. Without doing anything,
I'd rather see the high-order bits, the part of the path closest to
the root of the account tree. I frequently have multiple leaf accounts
with the same name, e.g., investments in the same mutual fund or stock
in, say, my IRA and my wife's IRA. If all I see, without selecting, is
the low-order part of the path, I could be lulled into a false sense
of security that I'm in the right account when I might not be. Seeing
the high-order part at least shows me immediately whether I'm on the
right track.

/Don