Text field alignments

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Feb 24 12:55:10 EST 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 16:03:12 Donald Allen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 February 2009 15:30:09 Donald Allen wrote:

> >> I (obviously) disagree. For example, you have multiple accounts
> >> (individual IRAs plus taxable accounts) at a big mutual fund company
> >> like Vanguard and each of them has holdings in, say, "Prime Money
> >> Market", a common situation. Cluttering the leaf accounts with
> >> initials, as you suggest, strikes me as kludgery to work around
> >> something that isn't fundamentally sound (you don't do this with
> >> identical filenames in different directories, or identical variable
> >> names in different scopes).  I could make some programming-language
> >> analogies here, but I'll refrain from doing so for fear of setting off
> >> an irrelevant religious war :-)
> >>
> >> /Don
> >
> > Yes, but in the case you make, Don, the top-level account (Assets, or
> > whatever) is common to all the leaf accounts, and therefore not relevant
> > in the case posted by the OP, who is looking for some consistent
> > behaviour in the how register displays long tree paths.
> >
> > As long as this is only about what overflows the text box by default,
> > then my vote is for everything to be right-justified in the registers, as
> > this will IMHO show more people more useful info more of the time.
> >
> > /gets ready with flameproofing spray....
>
> Nahh. I actually agree with the way you are thinking about it, even
> though you are coming out differently than I am (that's probably a
> distant relative of "I have no idea what you just said, but I disagree
> with it"). What I'm talking about is that we should be asking
> ourselves "what is the most common case and how do we best serve that
> case?", which is what you are doing. Using right-justification, only
> those people who have no duplicate leaf-account names can be sure they
> have the right one without any further graphical gestures. I think our
> disagreement boils down to how common that is. If they are in the
> majority, then you are right. I don't claim to know what the Gnucash
> user population actually does, but I've made my case for why multiple
> leaf accounts with the same name makes sense, why I think it could be
> common (another example: Expenses:Auto:2005 Toyota Prius:Maintenance
> and  Expenses:Auto:1996 Toyota Camry:Maintenance) and why I don't
> think cluttering the names with extra stuff to force them to be
> different is a clean solution.
>
> /Don

Hi Don,

I agree with your reasoning of why there may be multiple leaves with the same
names, IMHO the leaf level is more useful than the top level in a partial
display of a  "fully-qualified-account-name" (FQAN)

<contrived example>
You have a transaction in your current account register.  Would you rather see
the transfer column distinguish between your two sample accounts as:

Expenses:Auto:...   /  Expenses:Auto:...
or
...us:Maintenance / ...ry:Maintenance

(assuming only 14 chars are displayed, and I can't remember if GC adds the ...
on overflow)
</contrived example>

I don't think that either way will allow instant confirmation that
transactions are in the right place without mouse gesturing, but the parent
end of a FQAN is less likely to be wrong than the leaf end....?

Maybe the answer is to use short account names (eg Maint rather than
Maintenance)?

Maf.