Unable to add costs of stock purchases

David Ryder davaweb at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 24 16:03:02 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 19:53 -0800, Charles Day wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM, David Ryder <davaweb at bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 16:44 -0800, Charles Day wrote:
>
>         > On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM, David Ryder
>         <davaweb at bigpond.net.au>
>         > wrote:
>         >         Hi,
>         >         A. I have read the pdf file and a lot of things on
>         google but
>         >         I just
>         >         can't get this to work - this is purely an example:
>         >         (Australian stock Exchange)
>         >         1. Create a Stock account for RIO - OK
>         >         2. BUY RIO 1000 @ $50.00 using Equity account -
>         automatically
>         >         calculates
>         >         $50,000 - OK
>         >         3. Brokerage - 375.00   posted to
>         Expsenses:Brokerage - causes
>         >         Imbalance
>         >         4. GST - 37.50  posted to Expenses:GST - causes
>         larger
>         >         Imbalance.
>         >
>         >         These are just trying to enter stock before I start
>         using
>         >         gnucash for
>         >         daily transactions but every buy and sell needs to
>         have
>         >         brokerage and
>         >         GST.
>         >
>         >
>         > You have listed the three outlays: cost of stock, brokerage
>         expense,
>         > and GST, but where's the balancing split of $50412.50 to the
>         equity
>         > account?

>         >
>         >
>         > -Charles
>         If I understand correctly, I have entered those in Transaction
>         journal
>         view.
>         I can not enter the overall total of $50412.50 which is what I
>         originally tried to do - gnucash keeps automatically
>         calculating just
>         $50,000 with a box saying 'Recalculate Price/Recalculate
>         shares'.
>         Nor does it sum the amounts I entered - it just posts
>         brokerage and GST
>         to Imbalance.
>

> You are entering this transaction in the register of a stock account,
> correct? There should be four splits: one to add 1000 shares @ $50
> (1000 in shares column and $50,000 in buy column), one for the
> brokerage expense ($375 in buy column), one for GST ($37.50 in buy
> column), and one to transfer the total amount from whatever account
> you are using to pay for the trade ($50,412.50 in the "sell" column).

Yes, that is how it is entered.
I have found that after the initial calculation of the total, I can only
get brokerage and GST to enter if I delete the already calculated total.
That way I avoid the Imbalance or even a diminishing total which
happened with other tests. Is there a way round this?

Under Num, gnucash automatically selects Buy.
For Brokerage I can select Fee. Although I can type 'tax' or whatever,
can I add tax or GST to the list that drops down? If not, perhaps users
could have a 'setup' choice in the druid or an editable list to add
categories?