Multi-company accounting

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Feb 25 08:12:01 EST 2009

At Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:47:44 +0000 Conor McGarry <conormcgarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a large number of companies within the same organisation.  Currently,
> I have a GnuCash file for each company.
>
> I would like to allow each of the companies' files to link together so that
> entering an intercompany transaction doesn't require 2 seperate entries.
>
> For example, company A pays EUR1 to company B, to do this I would normally do
> the following:
>
> 1. Open company A's GnuCash file.  Post the following - *credit cash a/c EUR1,
> debit intercompany (company B) a/c EUR1*.
> 2. Open company B's GnuCash file.  Post the following - *debit cash
> a/c EUR1, credit
> intercompany (company A) a/c EUR1*.
>
> During the year, to ensure that the intercompany accounts balance, I need to
> do a manual reconciliation.  The current method I am using allows for alot
> of human errors.  For instance, I could post the transaction to company A,
> then forget to post it to company B.
>
> Is it possible, when entering a transaction, that you can enter the
> corresponding debit/credit entries in the other company?
>
> There are 75 companies in my organisation, intercompany reconciliations
> takes up alot of my time.
>
> If any developers would like to discuss this with me to figure out a
> solution, I would gladly appreciate it.  Also, I would be willing to pay
> money to have this done.

I am neither an accountant nor one of the GnuCash developers, but an
idea comes to mind:

Create 75 'super accounts', one for each company.  Under these 'super
accounts', you create a regular account tree, one for each company.

The only snafus I can think of is that the invoice numbering along with
the customer database (such as it is) would be merged together for all
75 companies.  Question: how independent are these companies?  Are they
completely separate businesses or are they tied together on some level?

> Thanks
>
> Conor McGarry
> Dublin
> Ireland

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933