Portfolio question - re Options

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 09:17:40 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM, David Ryder <davaweb at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I run a business am looking at the possibility of combining my Portfolio
>> into my gnucash accounts and using just gnucash for Portfilio
>> Management. I have some questions and will start with the first - a
>> trader, yes, but an accountant I certainly am not!
>>
>> I trade daily in Options. To me this is Income and I would like to
>> post under Income:Options as Stock entries - can I? They are not assets
>> in my case but I don't want to confuse gnucash. All the documentation I
>> have found says they should be "Assets".
>>
>> They would be posted to Liabilities:account-name2.
>>

> GnuCash doesn't have the concept of options or underlying, but you can just
> use a "stock" account type and pretend that one "share" is one
> "contract".

If you want to get online price quotes, it would be better to have the
number of "shares" of the position in Gnucash = the number of
contracts * the multiplier (usually 100). So if you are long one IBM
March 2009 90 call, you would enter that as +100 shares. The reason
I'm saying this is that option prices are quoted per-share of the
underlying, not per-contract (so if that IBM call was quoted as having
an ask of, say, $4.25, you'd pay $425 per contract).

/Don

 It sounds like you are short options (writing options). You