Multi-company accounting

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:01:49 EST 2009

Conor,

Could you `fake' these super-accounts by adding a numbered prefix to each
separate company's accounts? In other words, you can't have super-accounts
which contain all five basic account types, but you can have super-accounts
just one level below that. E.g. consider the following hierarchy:

- Comp01_Assets
  Common Stock
  Bonds
- Comp01_Equity
  Retained Earnings
  Owner's Equity
- Comp01_Expenses
  Brokerage Fees
  Bank Fees
+ Comp01_Income
+ Comp01_Liabilities
+ Comp02_Assets
+ Comp02_Equity
+ Comp02_Expenses
+ Comp02_Income
+ Comp02_Liabilities
.
.
.
+ Comp75_Assets
+ Comp75_Equity
+ Comp75_Expenses
+ Comp75_Income
+ Comp75_Liabilities

Admittedly, this is a lot of drudgery. If you're willing to pay, though, I'm
sure you could hire a high school kid with a basic knowledge of computers,
and maybe some accounting, to set up a skeleton Gnucash file with all the
above accounts. Of course, in the long run it's smarter to hire someone to
write a utility that does this kind of setup automatically! And maybe
release it as open source...? :-)

Cheers