Fwd: Multi-company accounting - shared account

Conor McGarry conormcgarry at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:00:04 EST 2009

Hi Derek

Ideally, each company should have its own file.  My original request was to
somehow link these.

Company Law in Ireland requires a company to maintain sufficient records of
each transaction so that it can provide a P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow
Statement and comply with FRS accounting standards.

If all the companies' bookkeeping was kept within the same file, I doubt
that I would be in breach of any laws.

If a company were to be transferred out of our group, it wouldn't matter too
much as this wouldn't likely happen often, and it would be a once off event
for that company.  Reconciling intercompany transactions is an everyday
event.  If a company were to leave our group, it would essentially be just a
case of exporting that company's sub-accounts from the "group" GnuCash file
into an Excel file for the new bookkeepers.