Mac OS/X Up and Gnucash startup errors

Joel Thibault (Gnucash) ie37pjv02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 26 14:37:30 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:50 AM, David Reiser
dbreiser-at-earthlink.net |Gnucash| <1jx2k0mnwt0t at sneakemail.com>
wrote:

>>> An update of what? gnucash 2.2.9 was posted in fink a couple days
>>> ago, but you mention 2.2.8.
>>
>> Sorry.  Mac OS/X security update
>>
>>> I have seen the first message once -- when I left X11 running after
>>> it had talked to a different instance of dbus/gnome-settings-daemon
>>> than the instance gnucash was expecting. Quitting x11, then
>>> relaunching gnucash solved that problem for me. I used the Quit
>>> button in the first dialog to make sure my old settings weren't
>>> overwritten.
>>
>> That was an easy test that didn't work (i.e. same error message)
>>
>>> dbus in fink has undergone several changes lately. If you use 'fink
>>> update-all', you probably have a new version of dbus. While I've
>>> never been able to pin it down, rebooting has occasionally helped
>>> in the past after a dbus installation. Less drastic action could
>>> well solve the problem, but I've never been able to figure out why
>>> I've had the problems in the first place.
>>
>> I haven't updated lately.  I could try that.  What is "dbus"?
>>
>>> If you're talking about a system update, did you install xquartz
>>> from macosforge? If so, you may have to reinstall that.
>>
>> No, because I usually don't have to, but a system upgrade could
>> easily clobber something, so I'll try that
>>
>> Derek mentioned it could be a gconf issue.  i imagine so.  I wonder
>> why a system upgrade would break it, perhaps a permission problem.
>> I guess I'll look there too.
>

> Well, the security update installs a buggy freetype. People on the
> fink lists have been reporting other consequences, but it does look
> like Apple has done this to you. Installing xquartz may well solve the
> problem (Apple's x11 is simply wacko, at the moment). I think there is
> another solution somewhere, but asking on the fink lists will probably
> help (if you can't find the answer searching fink-users last couple
> days of archives).

A lot of people (including me) have seen this problem after
installing/upgrading via MacPorts, so it might be a good idea to check
what they've gone through, even though you're using Fink.

http://trac.macports.org/

One possible solution is to run this, making sure not to do it as sudo:

launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist

Joel Thibault

--
Joel Thibault [AIM: Jole Tebo]
Software Engineer in Boston