Mac OS/X Up and Gnucash startup errors

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 27 12:35:06 EST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Steve Drach wrote:

>> A lot of people (including me) have seen this problem after
>> installing/upgrading via MacPorts, so it might be a good idea to
>> check
>> what they've gone through, even though you're using Fink.
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/
>
> OK.  I guess I have some weekend digging around to do.
>
>> One possible solution is to run this, making sure not to do it as
>> sudo:
>>
>> launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-
>> session.plist
>
> I don't have that agent in my LaunchAgents directory
>
> BTW, what is dbus?  I believe David Reiser also mentioned it.

dbus is an Inter Process Communication daemon (thing that runs in the
background and listens for requests from applications to talk to other
applications). dbus is how gconf handles stored information like
default location of windows, the last check format file you used, etc.
Some of those stored settings also need gnome-settings-daemon, which
isn't behaving well in gnome 2.24 (at least with dbus 1.2.12 set up
with launchd instead of x11). gconf did its IPC stuff some other way
than dbus before version 2.23.

You don't have the LaunchAgent mentioned because the fink dbus
maintainer kept the agent within fink's heirarchy. Fink policy frowns
severely on writing things to places like /Library. Macports
willingness to write that agent plist there does have some undesirable
side effects.

If 'fink list dbus' shows you have dbus 1.2.12-8 installed, then you
have the latest available. And it is expecting to use launchd to set
up. It succeeds for me for the most part -- I essentially never get
the dialogs you see. But I don't get my selected default font (needs
gnome-settings-daemon working right). The unreleased-in-fink gnome-
settings-daemon 2.25.90 behaves better -- it's possible to force it to
run, but it won't launch automatically.

For grasping at straws, you might look to see if your version of
gconf2 is up to date.

There are lots of reported problems with parts of gnome working not as
intended with dbus both on the mac and under linux. But the errors you
see should be fixable with current versions available.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net