Importing QIF from Chase

hermit hermit at outofoptions.org
Fri Jan 2 23:32:05 EST 2009

David Reiser wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2009, at 10:45 PM, hermit wrote:
>
>> Charles Day wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM, hermit <hermit at outofoptions.org
>>> <mailto:hermit at outofoptions.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    I have downloaded and tried to import QIF files from Chase.  I found
>>>    something on the web from a year ago saying the Chase QIF's were
>>>    broken
>>>    and there was going to be a fix.  I am using the latest Mandriva
>>>    and QIF
>>>    is the ONLY choice I get for import.  Is this a compile option
>>>    left out?
>>>

>>> And what is the problem exactly? Can you point to an example or supply
>>> one?
>>>

>>>    Thanks....
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Charles
>> File > Import > Import QIF
>>
>> Opens a wizard.  I chose a file and get this.
>>
>> Line 5: File does not appear to be in QIF format: C*
>> Read aborted.
>>
>> I used this some years back and I seem to remember other choices, but
>> those don't show up.  I've poked around and don't see any other place to
>> import the bank data from.  Chase offers other formats, but I don't see
>> those in the menu.  I have tried to 'open' the file, but that doesn't
>> work either.  Since it is a 'package' I don't know if some compile
>> options were left out perhaps?  I could get the source and start over,
>> but it isn't that big of deal for me to reconcile by hand.
>>
>> thanks
>

> When I log into my Chase Credit card accounts, one of the formats they
> offer is "Intuit Quicken Web Connect QFX". That format matches the
> GnuCash option File>Import>Import OFX/QFX...
>
> If you don't have that option in gnucash, then your gnucash was built
> without libofx (older versions) or aqbanking (newest version). Libofx
> uses openssl, which caused a licensing issue for debian. The most
> recent versions of aqbanking have eliminated the need for openssl, so
> there should be less problem finding an ofx enabled gnucash. In the
> older versions, you had to compile it yourself to get the ofx
> importing capability.
>
> I download my chase transactions directly from Chase into gnucash
> using the ofxdirectconnect feature provided by aqbanking.
> (Actions>Online Actions>Get Transactions while displaying the gnucash
> register for the account the transactions belong to).
>
> Dave
> --
> David Reiser
> dbreiser at earthlink.net

OK.  I had a feeling there was something about the build that was
mucking me up.  I haven't figured out what, if any, charges I would
incur  via the direct connect.  Could be up to $10 a month depending on
plan, zip code and moon phase.  I looked at the multi page pdf and just
said fsck it. ;)  I guess they hope you'll think it easier to sign up
and find out rather than read the docs......  My wife won't let me
transfer money from checking to savings on line so I'm not going to pay
for that option.

Thanks for the info.